Sunday, August 3, 2008

Estoy aqui, finilamente!

Man, there´s nothing like starting out with some adventure. I'm enjoying my first day here in San Jose Costa Rica but not without some mishaps and forgetfulness on my part. It kind of started when I forgot my dress shoes for my cousin´s wedding and had to wear my Flojos (flipflops) but i could just use the excuse that I was trying to acustom myself to the Costa Rican lifestyle. It was toward the end of the reception though that I realized I had forgotten my international student ID and had to drive round trip 3 hours to get the little piece of plastic. (I grabbed my dress shoes too) but again trying to look on the bright side I got to spend some time with my dad and say goodbye to Josh who I didn´t see before I had originally left. So i got to sleep around two and woke up at four to get to the airport for my 6 o´clock flight. We arrived to a large line and computer problems that resulted in a very hurried atemp to get through security and to my gate before my plane left. It didn´t work. I was rescheduled for the 3 15 flight and was awarded 14 dollars in food vouchers and a 400 hundered dollar flight voucher that I can use later. Well I got some more sleep and lunch and went back to the airport, this time only taking about 20 minutes to get to my gate. I was able to properly say good bye to my family this time though. Upon waiting to board the flight, i heard my name being called and was upgraded free to first class (high rollin, I know). That flight went well and I made it to the gate in Atlanta well before the scheduled departure time, which eventually got delayed and then delayed again do to storms in the area. We left about 2 hours late but I was finally on my way, next stop Costa Rica. I was relieved to find my bags had succesfully arrived(since they got sent on the flight I was originally suposed to be on.) As I exited the airport i was greeted by a friendly woman holding a sign that read ¨Brian Bave¨I was taken to my house was i was welcomed by Jose(everyone else was sleeping) and went pretty much straight to bed. I awoke this morning to voices belonging to people I´d not yet met. It was wierd to come out of my room knowing that. I walked into the kitchen to find Yinette (my hostess) making me a huge chocolate chip pancake with a side of banana and grapes. It was deliscious. I was also warmly welcomed by Mia, a very excited 3 week old puppy. Not sure what kind of dog but it´s fluffy and won´t get very big. Yinette and her Daughter Maria showed me around the city a little bit and told me how to get to school. I start tomorrow and am getting pretty excited. I don´t have internet at my home so I may only be able to get to the interwebs about once a week until september when I go to campus, but would love to hear from everyone. Welp thanks for reading and check back soon. I´ll be praying for you.

6 comments:

mombo400 said...

hey Brian,

glad to hear from you! Debbie called and said she had spoken with you and all was going well. The cards lost 5-4 tonight but had chances to win in the 8th and 9th so it was an exciting game. Miss you already but know you will have a wonderful experience. Will be looking forward to hearing from you as often as possible. have a great day!! love, mom

Unknown said...

Hola Bry!
Que pasa? I just finished reading about your adventure. How funny! At least you'll get that free trip voucher. and isn't 1st class fun? Good luck on your journey, we'll be thinking of you often. It was great to see you this past weekend. Put me on your prayer list too, and I'll send you prayers too. Love ya! Choco pancake? Yumm!! AL

Kathleen Platten said...

hi!
Good idea to start this blog.
I am so excited for you to have this adventure. Definitely keep us updated, and post pictures if you can. Tell your hosts that your family appreciates them treating you like family.
BYE!
Kathleen

breezylucia said...

lets blog about blogging before we blog
brilliant brian bowe -alliteration
im glad you are there and that im here. i cant wait for you to start processing and learning spanisssshhhh. so much of it. tell me if in costa rica they use "vos" instead or in addition to "tu" for you. they do here allll the time.
anyway, I look forward to reading more about your experience. buena suerte chico! voy a rezar (pray) para vos!

KeithMont said...

Good work. You made it there. Missing flights is apparently the cool thing to do now-a-days. I took lis to the airport and she went to the terminal and everything so i figured it was cool to leave (she was flying standby) and she didnt make it on the flight and didnt have any chance to get on any others, so i had to go back to the airport and take her the next day. anyways, missing flights its cool.
I added you on skype but have no idea when to check for your existance in the virtual world so let me know if you have any vague idea for anytime ever.
anyways, i'm going to margarettas with my family, so its like i'm practically in costa rica.
keep me posted.
Keith

Fodoz said...

brian bave: nice entry! i'm excited to read more. this flowed very well. maybe you should change your major to english. just kidding. it sounds like you have a great setup, not to mention a PUPPY! it's cool they have dogs there......hahaha kidding. okay well good luck!